2006 500 efi WONT EVEN TURN OVER

albertasummitx

Reaction score
went to start quad after sitting for a week and there was no power to instrument cluster or key,so thinking kids were messing with key put boost on it and still nothing.so i jumped the solenoid and it cranked but wouldnt start and still no power to cluster.so i checked inline burn out fuse and it seems good,went and bought new ignition still no go .checked grounds and connections ?????? i heard it might be ecu, this thing only has 220 miles on it .

ANY IDEAS :beer:

Last edited:

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was it the main ignition fuse that you checked,.. the one that controls the key/kill switch? What about wires into the fuse box,.. bad connection maybe, pulled wire?

dodgeman

Reaction score
My 2008 500 efi has the fuse panel under the front box, take the cover off and there is access to the radiator and fuse box, there's 4 fuses in there I think. hope it helps

albertasummitx

Reaction score
i checked the fuse off tyhe start solenoid,and was told thr isnt any fuses ,i looked all over even under by rad .so i will be checking for power at ecu and looking for a wire that is rubbed tru ?? any other ideas besides replacing a 500$ ecu lol.

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't have a service manual for the 500efi, but have one for a 700efi,.. only difference should be one vs two cylinders.

I am suppose to work on my rhino this weekend, but if you want I can come over for a couple hours and help you out with a 2nd opinion.

Let me know before the weekend

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here is a quote from the manual, it won't let me save the page to post

starter lockout is controlled by the ECU. Pin #20 senses the transmission signal and
determines if the switch is in Neutral or Park. Pin #24 senses when the brake is applied. When the conditions are met, the ECU will
activate Pin #16 to ground the starter solenoid. Note the ground for the transmission switch runs to the wire harness splice. The ECU
will allow starting in Neutral or Park without the brake applied. Applying the brake overrides this system and allows starting
regardless of transmission shift position.
Items to check when diagnosing a no-start condition are:

• Transmission switch for proper function
• Starter solenoid for proper function
• Brake switch for proper function
• Wire harness, loose connections/pins (including the ECU) leading to and from these components
• Proper ground to frame

Should all these items be found in working order, the ECU may be at fault.

dlj

Reaction score
Not sure what all you have checked but I had a similar thing with my 07 Sportsman.
All it was was the positive post on the battery to the cable had a little corrosion under it and wouldn't make contact, it was deader than a door nail.
Quick check if you have power at battery post and nothing at solenoid its a good possability thats all it is.

Good luck

albertasummitx

Reaction score
well sorry i havent replied sooner busy at work,have power thru the quick burn fuse and nothing to the ecu ,so i think it is a broken wire ??:beer: thoughts lol cause there is a mile or 2 of wire to trace

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do you have MSN messenger, you can add me and I can send a 2008 500 efi service manual, should be the same electrical.

Still pretty sure it's something with the kill switch or maybe the transmission sensor.

Top Bottom