27 inch gorilla silverbacks for grizzly 550

little kidd

Reaction score
Hello, I just bought a new grizzly 550. Im thinking about putting 27inch gorilla silverbacks on it. Just wandering wat people think about this. Im also wandering how much power i will loose and if i will need to get a lift to make them fit. Thanks

KVF 700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well i think that might be a little to much tire for the quad.... i personally think the key to success is tire speed, and unless you have a 600 cc+ quad i wouldnt suggest it. that said iVe never road a 550 grizly before, only the kodiak 450 which i dont think could handle them. just my 2 cents :)

little kidd

Reaction score
Okay, thanks for the info so what do you think would be a good tire for that bike. I ride on the trails a little bit but go mudding more and like to mud more.

Last edited:

GWNBrute

Reaction score
I don't think those 27 backs are to much for the quad you will just have to clutch it and it will turn them no problem!!

Silverbacks are nasty tires and they will pull you through anything as long as you have good throttle control.

little kidd

Reaction score
Thanks, I think I'll try that out. Thank you everybody for the information I really appreciate it. Also if anybody has anymore thoughts or ideas i like to hear them.

KVF 700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't think those 27 backs are to much for the quad you will just have to clutch it and it will turn them no problem!!

Silverbacks are nasty tires and they will pull you through anything as long as you have good throttle control.

by good throttle control, do you you mean right to the bar all the way through?? lol

for some reason im quite skeptical.... how is the power on the 550 griz compared to the kodiak 450?

KVF 700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Go with the tried and true, 27" Maxxis Zilla's.

im thinking these would be a better choice. i run 26 inch zillas on my 700 kawi and can go just as far as any other 26 inch tire..... but ive also seen 28 inch swamp lites on a 450 honda and with the ultra low first gear it will turn them in ANYTHING lol.

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its better to be able to spin a moderate aggressive tire that to bog down with a highly aggressive one. Cleaning and tire rpm is the key, I have 25" kenda bear claws on my 2wd 225cc yammy moto 4 and can go most anywhere someone with a 4wd can, sometimes farther, especially in skeg if I don't break through.

GWNBrute

Reaction score
Its better to be able to spin a moderate aggressive tire that to bog down with a highly aggressive one. Cleaning and tire rpm is the key, I have 25" kenda bear claws on my 2wd 225cc yammy moto 4 and can go most anywhere someone with a 4wd can, sometimes farther, especially in skeg if I don't break through.

I have a Raptor and find the same thing I believe the only difference is that it is more floatation then tire spin 2wd are light compared to a 4wd. If you get a
4wd with tires like silverbacks and the right clutching and you let the tires do the work they will eat there way through anything.

Gearhead559

Reaction score
Website
www.gearheadzautomotive.com
27's should fit just fine...you may want to go some clutch mods tho..but if you use low when mudding, you might just be ok..id say put them on, and go ride it ...if you feel you lost some low end, then clutch mods will bring it back.do you have any other mods like a fuel controller , exhaust and so on?

and machined sleeve will bring back your top end from clutch weight and a shim mod..those seem to bring the snap back down low..even on a 550..

this is very common stuff on the grizzly forum i am on.. you might want to check it out ;) heres a ling for you tho Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum

go over there and sign up and intro your self...there is tons of info there on this type of stuff..im sure, but i hope it helps a bunch with what you are trying to do

little kidd

Reaction score
i dont have any mods but i plan on putting on an hmf pipe and if i have to ill put some clutch mods on Thanks for the info and i think ill try that site

Mbateman

Reaction score
Personally, 27'' on any quads are "axle snappers", but the silverbacks are worse than most. Any 26'' will work great on the 550, and you can get away putting them on without clutching, just my Two Cents...

dlg27

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about snapping axles with 27's. I run the 30" silverbacks on my reny and have not snapped a axle yet. I just all depends on throttle control

scoobienorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
clutch mods on the yammi's is not as effective as it is on others, to me there is no point in having a tire you dont have the power to turn, stick to the zilla's way way lighter, still a great tire better on the hard pack/ trails, there is not a yamaha that will handle a 27" silverback without stripping the front locker, breaking axles , and also risking burning the wet clutch, say what you want i have seen this with rhino's and griz's i love yami's quads but lets be real here i hate to see you buy a sweet quad then get disappointed later when the parts bills start coming in.

GWNBrute

Reaction score
I agree dig it's all about throttle control, if your to the handle bars and come through a mud hole and hit dry ground your going to twist something off now! I've said it before let the tires do the work..

GWNBrute

Reaction score
clutch mods on the yammi's is not as effective as it is on others, to me there is no point in having a tire you dont have the power to turn, stick to the zilla's way way lighter, still a great tire better on the hard pack/ trails, there is not a yamaha that will handle a 27" silverback without stripping the front locker, breaking axles , and also risking burning the wet clutch, say what you want i have seen this with rhino's and griz's i love yami's quads but lets be real here i hate to see you buy a sweet quad then get disappointed later when the parts bills start coming in.

Zilla's are very light tire(the lightest there is for mud tire) but it doesn't matter what quad your have whether it's a 450 or a 1000 clutching is the key!! A 550 griz will turn backs no problem with the right clutch springs in it

Top Bottom