2009 can am 650 outlander belt covers

speenz21

Reaction score
hey i was wondering if anywone could help me with this problem i recently just purchased the fourwheeler and i was wondering if there is any up grades i can get for the belt covers to make them not leake in waters also if any can give me some addvice on tires and anthing else i should purchaes for the bike tthanks for your time and addvice

ICANAM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hey i was wondering if anywone could help me with this problem i recently just purchased the fourwheeler and i was wondering if there is any up grades i can get for the belt covers to make them not leake in waters also if any can give me some addvice on tires and anthing else i should purchaes for the bike tthanks for your time and addvice
I bought an aftermarket snorkle kit for my outy 800. I haven't installed it, but I hear that they work good. I got mine off of ebay. The water seems to get in through the air intake on the belt housing, so snorkling should work. If your belt housing is leaking through the gasket, I would take it in to get looked at as it should be on warranty?

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the site,

It you are getting water into your cvt housing without going over your intake/exhaust ports, then I would suggest your cvt housing bolts aren't tight or the gasket is leaking. If not, then I would upgrade and put in some snorkels.

As for tires,.. seems Zilla's are pretty popular,.. although if your machine came with PXT's, they don't do too bad.

SwampRatt

Reaction score
If you're feeling brave, snorkels aren't that hard to build yourself on the outlanders, and there are quite a few pictures on the internet from other guys who have done it. I did mine for a little over $30, and they're hidden up front at handlebar height under the plastic, not quite as high as some guys go but they've worked wicked so far. Good luck!

scoobienorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
for the 09 and 10 models can am makes an upgraded cvt intake, that is alot better, the one thing that wasnt clear to me was is it leaking in or are you worried about swamping it? If you are worried about swamping it snorkles help, if it is leaking past the cover i would say the belt drive got hot and the case has warped. the older ones were prone to warping but i thought they upgraded that.

speenz21

Reaction score
for the 09 and 10 models can am makes an upgraded cvt intake, that is alot better, the one thing that wasnt clear to me was is it leaking in or are you worried about swamping it? If you are worried about swamping it snorkles help, if it is leaking past the cover i would say the belt drive got hot and the case has warped. the older ones were prone to warping but i thought they upgraded that.

ya i went for a ride and it was wet the water wasnt that deep and my belt got wet and started slipping water wasnt over tires

scoobienorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if you are under warranty i would take it to the dealer for it, sounds like maybe just a gasket but i am thinking at a minimum the outer cover possibly the inner cover needs replacing. if you put water in it you should be able to see it leaking out, but if you do that i would regrease the one way bearing.

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had the same problem with mine. Get into 8 or 10 inches of water, and the belt would slip. I had a hole in the bottom of the cover that was about half the size of a cigarette package. I put on a new cover, which helped, but the Outty's cvt intake is completely stupid. I ended up snorkling it this winter.

speenz21

Reaction score
I had the same problem with mine. Get into 8 or 10 inches of water, and the belt would slip. I had a hole in the bottom of the cover that was about half the size of a cigarette package. I put on a new cover, which helped, but the Outty's cvt intake is completely stupid. I ended up snorkling it this winter.

hey thanks for all ur help every one. wat kind of snorkel did you purchace and ruffly wat was the prices and h0w hard was the system to install thanks again

ICANAM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hey thanks for all ur help every one. wat kind of snorkel did you purchace and ruffly wat was the prices and h0w hard was the system to install thanks again
Here is a link to one on ebay. I can't remember if it's the one I got, but it's a decent price compared to some.

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Attachments

• IMG_0962.JPG
    IMG_0962.JPG
    31.4 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_0963.JPG
    IMG_0963.JPG
    30.2 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_0965.JPG
    IMG_0965.JPG
    28.4 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_0966.JPG
    IMG_0966.JPG
    33.7 KB · Views: 84

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It took a couple of hours to install, but that included running the tranny breather, fuel, and diff lines up under the front pod. I went with the snorkle gaurds too, it helps to keep some of the crap out.

Why did you run diff vent lines? The bellows on the front and rear diffs work great. Extensions on the fuel tank vents and the tranny vents are all you need. I've had the factory bellows on mine since new....the machine is underwater more than not, I change the fluids twice a year and they always come out looking new still.

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Why did you run diff vent lines? The bellows on the front and rear diffs work great. Extensions on the fuel tank vents and the tranny vents are all you need. I've had the factory bellows on mine since new....the machine is underwater more than not, I change the fluids twice a year and they always come out looking new still.

The rear bellow was ripped, so, it was either spend $30ish for a bellow, or a little over $3 on clear line.

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The bellows are 6 bucks...but some prefer the vent line anyways...just curious.

$6, really? Somebody was going for a monster comission. I do prefer the clear line anyway, I ended up destroying my rear diff because of the crap that got in. At least now, a person should be able to see if there is a crack or hole in the line.

Top Bottom