LoginRegister
SnowandMud.com - Powered by vBulletin

Today's Posts
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 31 to 38 of 38
  1. #31
    Member dgiles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Coquitlam, BC
    Posts
    208

    Re: ICBC loss is 935 million

    Quote Originally Posted by eclipse1966 View Post
    100% agree! We drove back from Tunkwa Lake (outside Sovona) on Sunday when we had the blizzard. Did not see a single plow all the way to Armstrong. I told my wife that this was completely unacceptable. IMO services like road clearing where safety is a factor should not be for profit.
    Road clearing is never "for profit". It is always at a taxpayer's expense. Reducing only helps reduce taxes. Our choice I guess.
    2016 Arctic Cat M8000 Ltd green 162



  2. #32
    Senior Member
    eclipse1966's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Armstrong BC
    Posts
    4,053

    Re: ICBC loss is 935 million

    granted tax payers pay the private company to clear the roads but they aren't doing it for non-profit themselves. So, if the contract is x amount what stops the private road maintenance company to hold back a plow or two if they can get away with it to put a few extra bucks in their pocket?

    Quote Originally Posted by dgiles View Post
    Road clearing is never "for profit". It is always at a taxpayer's expense. Reducing only helps reduce taxes. Our choice I guess.

  3. #33
    Senior Member
    Bnorth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Salmon Arm
    Posts
    6,997

    Re: ICBC loss is 935 million

    Quote Originally Posted by eclipse1966 View Post
    granted tax payers pay the private company to clear the roads but they aren't doing it for non-profit themselves. So, if the contract is x amount what stops the private road maintenance company to hold back a plow or two if they can get away with it to put a few extra bucks in their pocket?
    Highway maintenance has gotten even worse this year. You can tell where they interface between Salmon Arm and Sicamous as it will be brutal from the 97B intersection to the eastbound passing lane and then gets much better towards Sicamous. SA side will be ice and compact snow and then heavily sanded and just wet asphalt at the east end.

    Emcon in Revelstoke has reportedly halved their drivers (got rid of the on call plow drivers) so are keeping it all open with a bare bones crew and it is always very evident between 3 valley gap and Revy as it gets significantly worse on that stretch as well.
    #yoursledsucks

  4. #34
    Senior Member
    eclipse1966's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Armstrong BC
    Posts
    4,053

    Re: ICBC loss is 935 million

    I noticed that as well a couple weeks ago Brandon. Was going from SA to Sicamous to look at my hot rod project and day and night between road conditions.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bnorth View Post
    Highway maintenance has gotten even worse this year. You can tell where they interface between Salmon Arm and Sicamous as it will be brutal from the 97B intersection to the eastbound passing lane and then gets much better towards Sicamous. SA side will be ice and compact snow and then heavily sanded and just wet asphalt at the east end.

    Emcon in Revelstoke has reportedly halved their drivers (got rid of the on call plow drivers) so are keeping it all open with a bare bones crew and it is always very evident between 3 valley gap and Revy as it gets significantly worse on that stretch as well.

  5. #35
    Member broke'n'nuts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    North Okanagan
    Posts
    291

    Re: ICBC loss is 935 million

    Quote Originally Posted by Bnorth View Post
    Highway maintenance has gotten even worse this year. You can tell where they interface between Salmon Arm and Sicamous as it will be brutal from the 97B intersection to the eastbound passing lane and then gets much better towards Sicamous. SA side will be ice and compact snow and then heavily sanded and just wet asphalt at the east end.

    Emcon in Revelstoke has reportedly halved their drivers (got rid of the on call plow drivers) so are keeping it all open with a bare bones crew and it is always very evident between 3 valley gap and Revy as it gets significantly worse on that stretch as well.
    Yep same my way. Sure see the difference where the city leaves off and csrd takes over. Funny how employers are supposed to be accountable when employees get hurt, these road companies should be held responsible for negligence if poor maintenance contributed to accident.

  6. #36
    Member broke'n'nuts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    North Okanagan
    Posts
    291

    Re: ICBC loss is 935 million

    You would also think that if accident rates were higher in lower mainland then they should pay more. Can't tell me they don't track trends and know where the costly accidents are happening. When I moved back to BC from AB my insurance on just mine and wife's vehicles doubled.

  7. #37
    Senior Member
    eclipse1966's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Armstrong BC
    Posts
    4,053

    Re: ICBC loss is 935 million

    I believe they still do. When we lived down in N.Delta and moved back up in the '90's we seen a pretty good savings at that time. Cant remember how much but I do remember it being a fair bit. Maybe things have changed.

    Quote Originally Posted by broke'n'nuts View Post
    You would also think that if accident rates were higher in lower mainland then they should pay more. Can't tell me they don't track trends and know where the costly accidents are happening. When I moved back to BC from AB my insurance on just mine and wife's vehicles doubled.

  8. #38
    Member Rogarian One's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    British Columbia
    Posts
    14

    Re: ICBC loss is 935 million

    Nailed it!



Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •