Horse Rescue up the Renshaw

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Renshaw Horse Case Back In Court Today - Opinion 250 - News for Northern and Central Interior of British Columbia, Canada

By 250 News
Friday, October 02, 2009 12:57 PM

McBride, B.C.- The man facing three charges related to cruelty to animals in the McBride horses case, had another court date today.
Edmonton Lawyer Frank McKay is charged with cruelty to animals, causing unnecessary pain/suffering to an animal and causing an animal to continue to be in distress.
The charges were laid after two horses were rescued from the Renshaw recreation area near McBride last winter. The animals had been abandoned, and were found to be starving, in poor health and stuck in chest deep snow. Volunteers braved brutally cold temperatures as they hand dug a trench more than a kilometre long to walk the horses, Belle and Sundance, to safety. The animals have since recovered and have been placed in new homes.
McKay did not appear in court today, nor did his lawyer. They connected with the McBride Provincial court by phone and had the matter adjourned until December 4th for “anticipated summary resolution” of the matter.

Adjourned again??:confused::confused: Is this some kind of game with him??

Being a lawyer, I'm sure he knows all the ins and outs of how to drag this on until the people forget about it, or just plain give up out of frustration

bbtoys

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We will not forget and it will not blow over just because he knows how to screw with the system.
Time to start the E-mail to the crown again me thinks.

laserRob

Reaction score
We will not forget and it will not blow over just because he knows how to screw with the system.

Not a bad idea.....we'll stay tuned.

McBride rocks!

Rob in Chicago.

laserRob

Reaction score
Renshaw Horse Case Back In Court Today - Opinion 250 - News for Northern and Central Interior of British Columbia, Canada

By 250 News
Friday, October 02, 2009 12:57 PM

McBride, B.C.- The man facing three charges related to cruelty to animals in the McBride horses case, had another court date today.
Edmonton Lawyer Frank McKay is charged with cruelty to animals, causing unnecessary pain/suffering to an animal and causing an animal to continue to be in distress.
The charges were laid after two horses were rescued from the Renshaw recreation area near McBride last winter. The animals had been abandoned, and were found to be starving, in poor health and stuck in chest deep snow. Volunteers braved brutally cold temperatures as they hand dug a trench more than a kilometre long to walk the horses, Belle and Sundance, to safety. The animals have since recovered and have been placed in new homes.
McKay did not appear in court today, nor did his lawyer. They connected with the McBride Provincial court by phone and had the matter adjourned until December 4th for “anticipated summary resolution” of the matter.

Adjourned again??:confused::confused: Is this some kind of game with him??

I posted (and linked) your update at 'COTH'......the most active horse related forum in the states.

Horses abandonned in mountains - Rescue in progress in Canada - Chronicle Forums

There are other highly viewed forums that followed this activity..........I'll get the info and links, to them, also

ALL had very supportive words.

Rob

Falling Star

Reaction score

I attended court on Friday and it is apparently "very likely" that Mr. Mackay will plead quilty on Dec. 4. We will see...

bbtoys

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
He may not be much of a horse guy, but he is a pretty good lawyer.

Falling Star

Reaction score
Recent pics of Belle and Sundance in their new homes.

Attachments

• Belle 1 resized.jpg
    Belle 1 resized.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 327
  • Sundance 1 resized.JPG
    Sundance 1 resized.JPG
    14.4 KB · Views: 327
  • Sundance 2 resized.JPG
    Sundance 2 resized.JPG
    16 KB · Views: 348

Sara Olofsson

Reaction score
Glad you got these pics up so quickly Birgit, for everyone that cared and helped. It should be something really special to see what a difference they made to these two horses!

laserRob

Reaction score
Court date: December 4th.

I really hope they seriously dent his pocketbook......and give the money to animal rescues.

Rob

laserRob

Reaction score
56,860th view of this thread.

Other than 3 threads over at 'The Tail Gate', this may be the most viewed interest in 'Snow and Muds' vast arena.

No, all in all.......such numbers are NOT important.

However, it speaks volumes to a bond between humans, and animal. I guess we can relate some humans are animals, and vice versa. Speaking on behalf of this thread..........it's a good thing. The job gets done.

Add to the mix.......machines, and resolution, needed to navigate such a terrain, in the harshest of conditions. Someone, a challenge............compute the cubic yards of snow/weight required to free these two.

Then.....there's a lawyer at its epicenter.

Great story.

Rob

Falling Star

Reaction score
Update from horse rescue case: Edmonton lawyer Frank McKay pled guilty today in McBride Provincial Court to causing or permitting an animal to be or continue to be in distress under the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act. On a joint submission, he received a $1,000 fine, a $150 victim fine surcharge, has to pay restitution to the B.C. SPCA in the amount of $5,910.16, received a prohibition against possessing any animals for two years (in B.C. only), a probation order for the period of 12 months, and a counselling term because of his behaviour. He further has to deliver a copy of his probation order to the nearest SPCA in Edmonton and to the provincial SPCA office in Alberta so that the authorities are alerted, and purchase advertisement in two issues of the local paper in order to publish his statement which was read in court today. The proceedings on the two criminal code offences were stayed (causing unnecessary pain and suffering to an animal and cruelty to animals).
In his statement, McKay said: "I wish to thank the rescuers who volunteered their time and effort to rescue the horses. ... If it hadn’t been for the accident, I would have gladly participated in the rescue.”
Court also heard that this was the first time McKay has been in the backcountry by himself.
:):):):):):):)

Top Bottom