LoginRegister
SnowandMud.com - Powered by vBulletin

Today's Posts
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
  1. #1
    Member Ministik Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    966

    House Lan cables & Connections

    Daughter bought a new house
    It has 1 lan cables (8wire) beside each Shaw Cable Coaxial cable

    I spliced (twisted wires) color to color all 5 sets of lan wires together in the basement

    Connected the computer to the router - computer works
    then connected the router to the lan outlet in the wall on 2 floor

    then connected the lan cable on the main floor to the Xbox
    But the Xbox can not see the route

    I moved the shaw router to the main floor and connected
    from the router to the Xbox and the Xbox works
    Then connected the router lan cable to the wall and computer on second floor and computer can not see the router, no connection or internet

    Bought a lan cable tester and all lines are correct ---no opens, shorts, or crossovers
    Tested lan jack from router end to Xbox Lan Jack all good

    Not sure why they do not work


    I removed the lan cable insulation but Does the lan cable wire have a varnish and other coating that would prevent a signal passing through the twisted wire connection
    I see telephone and other lan cable terminated on punch blocks -- do the punch blocks scrape the wire for a better connection

    Thank for your help as I can not figure this out

    Brian
    780-nine nine zero 9339
    South East Edmonton
    April 4 , 2016
    Last edited by Ministik Man; April 4th, 2016 at 12:02 PM.



  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Bnorth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Salmon Arm
    Posts
    7,155

    Re: House Lan cables & Connections

    I didn't realize LAN was still a thing, why not use WIFI?
    #yoursledsucks

  3. #3
    Member 101110101101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    706

    Re: House Lan cables & Connections

    Quote Originally Posted by Ministik Man View Post
    Daughter bought a new house
    It has 1 lan cables (8wire) beside each Shaw Cable Coaxial cable

    I spliced (twisted wires) color to color all 5 sets of lan wires together in the basement

    Connected the computer to the router - computer works
    then connected the router to the lan outlet in the wall on 2 floor

    then connected the lan cable on the main floor to the Xbox
    But the Xbox can not see the route

    I moved the shaw router to the main floor and connected
    from the router to the Xbox and the Xbox works
    Then connected the router lan cable to the wall and computer on second floor and computer can not see the router, no connection or internet

    Bought a lan cable tester and all lines are correct ---no opens, shorts, or crossovers
    Tested lan jack from router end to Xbox Lan Jack all good

    Not sure why they do not work
    Hook it up to a PC then find your IP back to the working state you mention. Then do a couple of tests:

    1) start/run/cmd <enter> type "ipconfig" without the quotes.... what IP does it show?
    2) open a browser and go to google.ca and type in what is my IP. Are the two numbers matching or different?
    3) What model "router" do you have from Shaw?
    4) Can you connect the Xbox (while wired to the PC) via WiFi?
    5) When you had it connected to the Xbox, and it failed, was the PC still connected?

    It sounds like maybe your Shaw modem is configured bridge mode, and it's handing your device the public IP. Therefore when connecting the second device, the IP is already in use. If that holds true you can:

    1. call Shaw and have them change it out of briged mode.
    1b. Your Shaw account actually gives you two public IPs... you can ask Shaw to activate the second and both devices should work. (still not the best idea, having devices with public IP addresses)
    2. buy your own router and continue to use Shaws device purely as a modem (it is what I prefer)
    3. Use only one device at a time.... /silly idea
    Last edited by 101110101101; April 4th, 2016 at 12:07 PM.

  4. #4
    Member 101110101101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    706

    Re: House Lan cables & Connections

    Quote Originally Posted by Bnorth View Post
    I didn't realize LAN was still a thing, why not use WIFI?
    If a wire is available, always use the wire. If his house is wired for it, it's better than WiFi for a number of reasons.... interference..... speed.... reliability. I use WiFi on my mobile devices.... anything I can connect a wire to, I do.

    Just as a quick n dirty example:

    How Fast Is a Wi-Fi Wireless Network?

    If the person has 802.11 AC and EVERYTHING is perfect (range, interference etc) you will get 1Gbps.... with a wire, you're practically guaranteed it. If the person has anything less than 802.11ac (b,a,n) and everything is still perfect, the best they could hope for is 1/3 the speed of a standard gigabit wired connection.
    Last edited by 101110101101; April 4th, 2016 at 12:06 PM. Reason: Edited to add link

  5. #5
    Member CatMan16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Red Deer
    Posts
    1,026

    Re: House Lan cables & Connections

    Quote Originally Posted by Ministik Man View Post
    Daughter bought a new house
    It has 1 lan cables (8wire) beside each Shaw Cable Coaxial cable

    I spliced (twisted wires) color to color all 5 sets of lan wires together in the basement

    Connected the computer to the router - computer works
    then connected the router to the lan outlet in the wall on 2 floor

    then connected the lan cable on the main floor to the Xbox
    But the Xbox can not see the route

    I moved the shaw router to the main floor and connected
    from the router to the Xbox and the Xbox works
    Then connected the router lan cable to the wall and computer on second floor and computer can not see the router, no connection or internet

    Bought a lan cable tester and all lines are correct ---no opens, shorts, or crossovers
    Tested lan jack from router end to Xbox Lan Jack all good

    Not sure why they do not work


    I removed the lan cable insulation but Does the lan cable wire have a varnish and other coating that would prevent a signal passing through the twisted wire connection
    I see telephone and other lan cable terminated on punch blocks -- do the punch blocks scrape the wire for a better connection

    Thank for your help as I can not figure this out

    Brian
    780-nine nine zero 9339
    South East Edmonton
    April 4 , 2016
    If I am reading it correct it sounds like you twisted all the wires that run to each individual jack together at one point. If that is what you have done it will only every work at one jack and one device. You need a hub or switch to split the network line out to all the jack outlets through out the house.

  6. #6
    Super Mod Geek
    TylerG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Spruce Grove, Alberta
    Posts
    22,858

    Re: House Lan cables & Connections

    Brian, give me a call after 4 we can make arrangements I'll come have a look and see what we can figure out

    TG
    Member of Team SLIM

  7. #7
    Member 101110101101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    706

    Re: House Lan cables & Connections

    Quote Originally Posted by CatMan16 View Post
    If I am reading it correct it sounds like you twisted all the wires that run to each individual jack together at one point. If that is what you have done it will only every work at one jack and one device. You need a hub or switch to split the network line out to all the jack outlets through out the house.
    I hadn't read it that way until now.... also a possibility. I assumed the wiring was correct.

  8. #8
    Member mountaincatab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    St. Albert, AB.
    Posts
    125

    Re: House Lan cables & Connections

    Category 5 / 5E & Cat 6 Cabling Tutorial and FAQ's

    As mentioned... you cannot splice all the "runs" together. I terminated RJ45 crystals on each cable and plug them into a 8-port switch
    2014 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500HD Z71
    2005 Chevy Silveraldo Z71 5.3L
    2010 Summit X 163
    2003 Arctic Cat 900 1M
    2005 Keystone Everest 344J
    2003 Larson 190 SEi 4.3L Volvo Penta
    1989 Sea Doo



  9. #9
    Super Mod Geek
    TylerG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Spruce Grove, Alberta
    Posts
    22,858

    Re: House Lan cables & Connections

    Quote Originally Posted by mountaincatab View Post
    Category 5 / 5E & Cat 6 Cabling Tutorial and FAQ's As mentioned... you cannot splice all the "runs" together. I terminated RJ45 crystals on each cable and plug them into a 8-port switch
    depending on the age of the house it could be going to a commercial punch down, and then need to be sent out from there, that's why I offered to go have a look. I used to do all that for a living.
    Member of Team SLIM

  10. #10
    Super Mod Geek
    TylerG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Spruce Grove, Alberta
    Posts
    22,858

    Re: House Lan cables & Connections

    Talked to Brian, he was given bad info and had twisted all the wires into one cable. Got him sorted out
    Member of Team SLIM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •