2000 Grizzly Low range issues....

Smidgy

Reaction score
I am having a problem with my 2000 Grizzly 600, When I put it in low range it and give it some gas the bike does not move, it is like it doesn't fully engage or something tho it seems to be loading the engine somewhat. What could this be? Bike seems to work alright in high range but not in low. Anybody know?

Smidgy

Reaction score
Update : last night I took the belt cover off and took a look at the belt drive, I don't think it is the problem but I am going to replace the belt(missing some cogs underneath and feels pretty slick) Tonight I will jack up the back end and put it in gear and see if it moves or is trying to move atleast.

Could it possibly be the linkage not fully engaging the gear or would it be a stripped gear in the transmission?

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
Its a real good chance its the linkage not fully engaging on the transmission. Like someone on this site already said "If you can't fix it with a hammer it must be an electrical problem" Good Luck.

ttpowersports

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ya check the linkage, replacing the belt never hurts if its got cogs missing, dont be afraid to buy a cheaper aftermarket one, the grizzly's are not usually to hard on belts , ive seen them with over 8000km on a stock belt and still have the belt be within spec.

Terry

Smidgy

Reaction score
Yea that is what I thought, verified my suspisions turned the engine over in low and high and it spins the belt no problem. so I removed the belt and turned the tires and the back shiv moves on high but not on low so something is not engaging. THe belt was cracked bad between lugs but you couldn't tell when it was on, glad I changed it before it left me hanging.

Thanks for the help guys will keep you posted

ttpowersports

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
check out the yamaha usa web site you can get a parts break down on there may help with your repairs and figuring out the problem

go to atvs, then parts tab

Terry

Smidgy

Reaction score
UPDATE 2: Last night I finally found the time to do some more work on the bike, got to take the shift linkage off at the transmission end, I was able to get it into low then. Therefore I believe that my linkage has to be shortened to pull it up farther to engage. I am just worried that in doing this it will introduce new problems with reverse(rod too short to fully engage reverse). I guess we will find out tonight.

ttpowersports

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
dont be afraid to adjust the linkage it shouldnt affect reverse shifting, if it does there is a large cable coming out of the shifter the goes to the back of the bike that is the lock out cable so it cant go into reverse while you moving forward. There is adjustment on that as well, just be sure you dont slack it off too much or u can go from low to reverse on the fly, and then you ll be call me for parts ....lol

Terry

Top Bottom