2010 m8 SP Diamond Drive bearing blown up/ upgrade requiring machining?

Uptown

Reaction score
Well guys iv been reading online for 2 days about this issue. lools like 09 and 2010s have this issue.
I have 800miles on her, took the DD out, wow the entire cage was torn out of that bearing, and the rubber seals pushed out, 1 was in the bottom of the case!
so i got the BDX bearing kit with the 5203 double row. im replacing all the bearings some sound 'howly' due to the fillings floating around, (reccommended). I used small prybars and a 2 jaw puller to remove the bearings. I found using a heat gun on the inner races of the new bearings allowed them to slide on with no effort or hammering!!
the new bearing is wider than stock so i did some test fitting. the DD cases fit back together with no problems, like a glove on the bench.
looks like when its reinstalled in the sled, the dd wont slide in there smoothly. it will go in place using the nuts to suck it in but there is pressure onit, as in the track drive shaft is a bit too long. still installed in the sled i took the DD cover off, the planetary assembly is pushed up against the large snap ring. it will move a bit when pushed on but i think the new wider bearing is applying more pressure to it when assembled. This puts all the pressure directly to the new 5203 bearing!!
So did Cat have a flaw in these tunnels? about 1.5 to 3mm too narrow causing this problem. Looks like it to me.
Sorry about the novel but i feel this is important. my question is does a guy get the track shaft machined? or just take some off the gear the 5203 sits on? Im leaning towards the track shaft due to the fact theDD is little tight as stated.
any help would be great, Thanks

brian_moreau7

Reaction score
Instructions for replacing faulty bearing on diamond drive? - SnoWest Snowmobile Forumheck this out..... There is a very long discussion about this already, I Just finished putting the 5203 bearing in my 2010 m8, Mine fit perfectly without any track shaft work, But others have been, Lots of great information already on there.

phatboy07

Reaction score
I took my DD apart right before the beggining of last season. My stock bearing was litterally on its last set of balls haha. So I replaced it with the 5203. I had to get a shop to machine the collar of the gear set down so the bearing sat at the same hieght as the stock. The 5203 is wider than stock. Just hold the bearing up beside the stock one on the gearset and see if it will sit at the same hieght as the stocker. If not you might want to take the time to get machined. Not hard for a shop to do. The problem with not machinging it down is not that the bearing wont go on, but it will pusch to gearsets in the DD up and you will have to overtighten the case to put it on which may increase the stress on the bearing. Some do it, some dont. I dont want any issues. So I machined it. Opened it up last week and its spotless in there.

Uptown

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies!! I agree that something needs to be machined either the gear shaft or the track shaft. from my findings on my m8 looks like the DD unit is tight even without the cover on. the planetary is being pushed against the snap ring\ c clip, i think im going to take 1.5 mm of the brake side of the track shaft and if need more ill take another .5 off.

my DD unit with the new bearing and gasket, has lots of end play on the track output shaft. So that tells me the dd is ok but the shaft is tight. does anyone else find this?
Thanks guys, this seems to be a big issue but once corrected its good to go!!

Uptown

Reaction score
Ok so my 2010 did need the track shaft machined. here are some pics of it. i found when the DD is installed it had to be sucked in using the bolts. the planetary assembly was being jammed against the outer c clip, the pics show the dd installed without the c clip in. Now after taking off .040" it just puts a little pressure on the c clip. now the gear is getting machined this weekend for the new bearing. The gear must get machined. there was room 'on the bench' but when it is reinstalled in the sled there is not. Ill post pics when shes all done. IMG_0416.JPG IMG_0408.JPG IMG_0419.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0407.JPG
    IMG_0407.JPG
    111.9 KB · Views: 673

Uptown

Reaction score
Well im fortunate enough to a machinist. he has full access to nice equipment. Thanks Buddy!!

I have it all back together now, had .058" taken off to make room for the double row bearing.
The planetary still pushes against the c-clip but it is much better. Im going to run it as is should be good now.
Finally received the new gaskets and put amsoil chaincase oil in it. After a good couple rides im going to strip it down and inspect. Now time to pray for snow!!

Bigbragg

Reaction score
Phatboy, I to live in Fort mac and i wondering what shop did you use to do the machining?
Thanks

I took my DD apart right before the beggining of last season. My stock bearing was litterally on its last set of balls haha. So I replaced it with the 5203. I had to get a shop to machine the collar of the gear set down so the bearing sat at the same hieght as the stock. The 5203 is wider than stock. Just hold the bearing up beside the stock one on the gearset and see if it will sit at the same hieght as the stocker. If not you might want to take the time to get machined. Not hard for a shop to do. The problem with not machinging it down is not that the bearing wont go on, but it will pusch to gearsets in the DD up and you will have to overtighten the case to put it on which may increase the stress on the bearing. Some do it, some dont. I dont want any issues. So I machined it. Opened it up last week and its spotless in there.

linksys

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So is there a recall or bulliten from Cat? Are they doing anything about this?

white ghost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So is there a recall or bulliten from Cat? Are they doing anything about this?

anyone know if there is a possible recall?
my 2010 is still under warranty..
I think I going to ask my dealer to do the upgrade for me...

neddacsac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well im fortunate enough to a machinist. he has full access to nice equipment. Thanks Buddy!!

I have it all back together now, had .058" taken off to make room for the double row bearing.
The planetary still pushes against the c-clip but it is much better. Im going to run it as is should be good now.
Finally received the new gaskets and put amsoil chaincase oil in it. After a good couple rides im going to strip it down and inspect. Now time to pray for snow!![/QUOTE/]

You had the output shaft or the track shaft machiend down?

Anyone have cross ref. numbers for changing all the bearings to timken?

Fuel Fire

Reaction score
Its Arctic Cat. Nothing. Unless you blow it up completely, under warranty.
And for all those that are going to bitch at this post, yes I ride a Cat.

linksys

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its Arctic Cat. Nothing. Unless you blow it up completely, under warranty.
And for all those that are going to bitch at this post, yes I ride a Cat.

so.....just wondering.......how would a person ensure that his diamond drive were to fail while it is still under warranty??......theoretically speaking.....not that I would want to say this is a good idea.....just asking.....

T.O.B.C

Reaction score
I have a 2010 M8 and after having read all the forums and looking at it the problem on my own sled it's the tunnel is too narrow as stated on other threads, its forcing the drive shaft against the diamond drive loading up the bearing. You can put any bearing you want in there, as a mechanic I can tell you that roller bearings don't take side load well. Installing a better bearing and machining the DD shft will prolong life of the bearing but doesn't fix the root problem. I think that if you fix the clearance issue by machining the track shaft the stock bearing would probably last, but nothing wrong with puting a better bearing in there as well. I am going to check and see if I can space the brake over as it would be the same as machining the track shaft to allow for no end load on the DD.

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
I had my bearings replaced ,,they said they wouldnt have made this season,,,service writer said "some bearings werent pressed on enough,,true or not idk,,,but it was $208 bucks out the door ,tax in,,,not enough for me to worry about,,,and they did replace a fuel pump nut under warranty,,Sled is an 09 with 1000 miles on it.

Top Bottom