09 M8 DD bearing

tanner

Reaction score
I would imagine you guys have heard this but I didn't find a thread on it here. I took my DD drive cover off today because they are making a big deal out of a bearing failure on an other fourm. The bearing is piled up in mine as well as almost everyone else that took there cover off. I have about 400 miles on mine and that's not much for this to be happening. If your oil looks a bit dark I would pull the cover. Gonna take it to the dealer tomarrow and see what they say but the answer will be did you put any aftermarket parts on.

swabby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have not heard of this yet ,sounds like a problem better check mine thx.

Catman10

Drinking the Doolaid
Reaction score
Yes it is definately a problem, everyone should pull thier diamond drives out once a year and service them as I have had to repace a bearing as well. The bearing is on the backside of the top gear and it is a sealed bearing, but for some reason it cant take the load. What guys are doing is taking the spacer out from behind the bearing and putting a wider double roller bearing in behind at a very low cost as it is a common bearing at any bearing place. There is a huge post on it on the Snowest forum and from personal experience I agree with the findings. I also check my bearings on the brake side as well as we have had a failure there on a buddies sled.

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes it is definately a problem, everyone should pull thier diamond drives out once a year and service them as I have had to repace a bearing as well. The bearing is on the backside of the top gear and it is a sealed bearing, but for some reason it cant take the load. What guys are doing is taking the spacer out from behind the bearing and putting a wider double roller bearing in behind at a very low cost as it is a common bearing at any bearing place. There is a huge post on it on the Snowest forum and from personal experience I agree with the findings. I also check my bearings on the brake side as well as we have had a failure there on a buddies sled.

Do you have a part number for this bearing....just curious.

tanner

Reaction score
I think its a 3203 from NKS poly cage for 35$ or steel cage is 70$ I dont think there is any reason for the steel cage.

sebrook

Reaction score
I took apart my DD from my 09 CF 1000 this week. All the bearings were fine.
Still going to replace them all with new ones while it's apart. Read on another forum that some guys covers aren't going back on properly with the double row bearing with the spacer out. Some guys are actually saying that if you want to use it you should machine .5mm off of shaft bearing goes on to make up the difference in the width of the bearings so that everything fits properly and the gears mesh properly. Other guys are talking about sticking with the original size bearing but sourcing out a better one - maybe made in North America. Don't know who's right - just passing on info. My bearing had 3000 km on it without any sign of wear. Also, I believe that the double row bearing number is 5203 and I think you want to make sure it's a contact double seal.

mynewuseddoo

Reaction score
Changed this bearing out last month for the double row. The bearing cage was nonexistent and the bearings were just floating inside the bearing tracks. 4-500 miles on the odometer.

tavis43

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well all this talk i just opened mine up, 1600km and the bearings are perfect
just need some oil and a gasket

Mac Daddy

Reaction score
Swabby you dirty dog.You forgot to mention this problem to me.That is probably why you could never high mark me last year.(to much drag)lol.I will check mine out after i give it another beating or 2. 600 miles i would think i should be good

swabby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
no mac daddy your not ok for 1 and your sled is that special model its a sno PPPRO and you were so far behind me you actualy started to think you were ahead of me...lol... :d:d:d:d

mur190

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pulled mine apart lastnight... neighter of the seals on the bearing were existint... along with the bearing clicks pretty good when its spun....

mur190

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
also missing about 4 of the balls outta the bearing... all the gears are fine..
thats where the fileings came from :rolleyes:

Top Bottom